2018 – Fishing Reports


3/5/18 Self-chartered Bass Fishing Trip

Four fishermen had a good time fishing Lake Pflugerville on 3/5/18 on an overcast day.  Randy Rowley caught two non-legal largemouth bass on a red River-2-Sea Biggie Poppy square bill crankbait.  Roland and Lena Olivarez and Chris Rowley were skunked.  We only saw one kayak fisherman and one bank fisherman.  The bass, other than having lockjaw, appeared to be in pre-spawn mode.

2/24/18 Self-chartered Bass Fishing Trip

Three fishermen had a good time fishing Lake Austin on 2/24/18 on an overcast and windy day.  Roland Olivarez caught a 14″ largemouth bass on a lipless crankbait and had another one on that got off at the boat.  David Olivarez and Randy Rowley were skunked, although Randy had something bump his swimbait three times (it was probably a perch).  We only saw one other fisherman near Mary Quinlan park.  The bass, other than having lockjaw, appeared to be in pre-spawn mode.

2/19/18 Self-chartered Bass Fishing Trip

Three fishermen, and Mr. Murphy, fished Lake Decker on 2/19/18.  The weather forecast called for 10 – 20 MPH south winds, but when they got there it was calm, so Randy Rowley decided to head along the NE bank using his trolling motor.  A piston in his gasoline motor on his bass boat had detonated the previous July and, rather than rebuild a 21 year old engine, he sold it for parts.  That left the trolling motor and two paddles as their means of propulsion.

Two hours later, and having thrown every type of bait they could think of without success, they decided to head back the way that they had come.  The wind had picked up, so Randy turned his trolling motor up to half power.  As they progressed the wind became stronger, causing him to continue to increase power to the trolling motor.

They rounded the corner of a cove and that is when the full force of the wind hit them.  Randy estimates that it was between 25 – 30 MPH.  The waves were white-capping.  He turned the trolling motor’s wheel to full power, but they were making almost no headway.  He informed Jim McGee and Roland Oliverez that they would need to assist the trolling motor with the paddles.

They started to make headway but the more that they got into open water the stronger the wind became.  They only had about 200 yards to go when they stopped making headway.  After a few futile minutes, Jim and Roland were worn out from paddling and Randy’s legs were worn out from trying to keep the boat headed into the wind with his foot-controlled trolling motor.

They went over to the reeds, hoping that they could pull themselves along with them, but they were too fragile.  Randy was just about to hop into the water and pull the boat along when a bass boat came to their side of the lake (they hadn’t seen one for around half an hour).  Randy managed to flag them down.  A man from the other boat and Randy hooked Randy’s tow rope between the boats and the rescuers towed them back to the dock.

In hindsight, Randy stated that he should have headed SW towards the dam.  They then would have had the wind push them along on the way back.  To add insult to injury, none of them got a bite!

Categories : Fishing Reports

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.