A Hunting Story by Eddy Chance Fall 2000


Larry Dowden and I went to our lease in Coleman over the weekend. On the way there we saw a massive buck right next to the Hwy that has a 5 to 6 inch drop tine, 20+ inches wide, at least 10 points, just before we got to Lampasas. It was the first time either of use have even seen a drop tine buck in the wild. It was beautiful.

We arrived at the lease around 10:00 p.m. The moon was so full Larry could drive with the vans head lights turned off. Not the best condition for deer hunting. The deer feed all night and sleep all day. We had a few light showers but were expecting more. The weather was warmer than the previous weekend, more like what you’d expect during bow season.

We both headed out early the next morning the try for a good doe. We both wanted to take a doe and have sausage made. The moon was so bright I was able to walk to my blind without the aid of a light. I dribbled corn out of a plastic grocery bag as I walked to my bow blind. I found that by doing this deer follow it to the feeder.

At first light, three does came in to the corn I sprinkled around the base of a tree. As they approached one of the two trees where I put corn for my bow shot, the largest of the three blew and they were off in a flash. The wind was blowing in my face so I couldn’t figure out why they would have winded me.

About 45 minutes passed and a large doe with a fawn came in on the same corn trail. The fawn ran right in and started eating. The large doe was a little more hesitant. As she approached the corn, “bam”, she blew and bolted, taking her fawn with her. I was so confused. I could not understand what was spooking them.

Not more than five minutes later I saw what I thought was one of the does returning. To my surprise it was a small buck with only one side of his rack, four points. He had apparently broken off one side of his rack. As he approached the corn, you guessed it, he bolted when he got within about thirty yards of my blind.

I’m sniffing my clothes, checking the wind, just don’t understand what’s going on. Around 10:00 a.m. I see a fairly large buck walking at a steady pace about forty yards, along the creek bed. He looked to be a shooter but he paid no mind to the corn and continued on his way.

I finally got out of my blind walked over to the tree where I had so carefully placed the corn and there on the ground was the plastic grocery bag (it had been out of my view). Evidently it had fallen out of my pocket and had enough of my scent on it to spook the deer. Oh well, another lesson learned. Always make sure you have a scent free bag to put your corn out with when bow hunting.

Saturday evening started off a little better. After awhile I saw a turkey hen and a small pullet approaching the feeder from my right side. She came in and started eating corn. I decided to pass since she had a small pullet with her. After about thirty minutes she had her fill of corn and left. After a few minutes off in the distance a massive gobbler headed right toward my feeder.

He was huge and his beard was dragging the ground. My heart started pounding. This was a trophy gobbler. It took almost fifteen minutes for him to get into shooting position. I drew back my bow, sighted my 20 yard pin (I have one pint that’s good from 10 to 20 yards). I took careful aim. He was standing broad side at ten yards.

I released the ACC carbon aluminum arrow with a Muzzy four blade 100gr broad head. The arrow penetrated up to the fletching on his right side. The gobbler started flapping his winds frantically. All of a sudden I head a snap and the arrow dropped to the ground, in two pieces. He hit the ground and started running.

I watched as he disappeared into the think cover about one hundred yards away. I waited for fifteen minutes them got out of my blind and retrieved what was left of the arrow. It had snapped about two inches from the fletching. I couldn’t believe it there wasn’t any blood. No sign that they arrow had stuck in anything.

Other than me seeing the arrow sticking out from both sides of this massive bird the arrow was clean and in two pieces. I waited for another fifteen minutes and started looking for blood sign on the trail he used when leaving the area. I found feathers but no blood for over 150 yards. I searched until dark but never found the bird.

I have names this bird the “Energizer Gobbler” you can stick him with and arrow and he just keep going, and going, and going. The next time I bow hunt for turkey I’ll take my shotgun loaded my magnums!

Categories : Stories

Comments are closed.

Today’s Devotionals and Blogs

Kent Crockett’s blog –

Mark Dillow’s blog –

Bible Verse of the Day

A little that a righteous man has Is better than the riches of many wicked. For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, But the LORD upholds the righteous.